Wednesday 16 May 2012

Venison and Port 2


2.2 kg venison
750g hard pork fat
45g salt
8g black pepper
5g rosemary
3g juniper
15g garlic
225ml port wine
hog and sheep casings

For this second batch of venison and port sausages I used hard pork fat rather than pork belly. Visually the finished sausages have a better mottled effect as they have a greater colour contrast between the venison and the fat.

I also used less juniper in this batch as I had worried that I had over spiced the first lot. However, the juniper in the first batch turned out fine after a day or two when the flavours had balanced. I don't think this batch was any the worse for cutting it back a little. So I am pleased with both batches. I'm not sure that the port adds that much to the taste. Maybe a bit of sweetness. Next time I will try something else like a red wine.

I ran out of hog casings while stuffing and had finish them off in sheep casings. The thinner skins of the sheep casings show much more of the deep colour of the venison and port.

Having tasted both batches side by side, I am very happy with both of them. When I make venison sausages again, I will consider increase the fat content to make them a bit more succulent. While the flavourings are great, maybe reducing the quantity a little will let the taste of the venison shine more.

No comments:

Post a Comment