Sunday 15 July 2012

Italian Sausage with Fennel 2

1.6kg pork shoulder
0.5kg hard pork fat
30g salt
15g ground black pepper
15g crushed garlic
7g whole fennel seed
3g ground fennel seed
125ml iced water

This is a slightly simplified version of the recipe I used last time.

I was more delicate with the pork fat this time and spent some time chilling it in the freezer to make it easier to handle and with less chance of smearing. This made a big improvement in the way the fat handled. I think it would work straight from frozen too, which is something I should try the next time I use a recipe that calls for pork fat.

I also cubed the fat with a knife rather than putting it though the mincer. I don't know it this was strictly necessary, but I was pleased with the result. However, it did take an age, so next time the fat will be minced in the machine from frozen.

These sausages were taken to a friend's bbq and went down very well. I love 'em.

No comments:

Post a Comment