Tuesday 17 April 2018

Fennel Salami

Ingredient Grams
Base Mix 2600
Black Pepper 10
Fennel 4
Corriander 2
Garlic 22
Casing Beef middles

This a cured version of the fresh Italian sausage I made a few years ago. From my experience, I associate fennel in cured sausages with Kabonos, which are smoked, unlike those I have produced here.

The spices are a good blend here, but the fennel is just too subtle. It is another case where the amount of spice used in a fresh sausage needs to be increased for a cured sausage. I wonder if this is due to the fermenting bacteria reducing the impact of the spice.

The black pepper is just right and the half-crushed texture works well giving small pockets of strong pepper to crunch on.

This is the first time that I have used beef middles to get a good salami-sized width. Previously I had only used hog casings and beef runners.

No comments:

Post a Comment