Sunday 1 April 2012

A Sicilian's sausage

Frank is my next door neighbour, an 83 year old Sicilian. He is amazingly fit for his age. Last summer I was surprised at how easily he took to climbing one of his large fig trees to pick me some fruit. He is always keeping busy growing vegetables in the garden or preserving them in his shed.

We got chatting about mincers, grinders and sausage making. He said that he used to make sausage and that the only thing holding him back now was not having a source of casings. I went back to Tong Master on-line and ordered some casings for him. The following week his grandson turned up on my door step with an offering of Sicilian fennel sausage, made with roughly chopped fennel seed. Of course, it was very good. I am planning to grow fennel this year and I will have a go at making a fresh fennel version.

No comments:

Post a Comment