Sunday 1 April 2012

Stuffer Upgrade


When I started making sausages I bought myself the cheapest mincer/stuffer I could find, just in case I only wanted to use it a few times and call it a day. I chose a KitchenKraft model and it worked just fine, once I learned it's little quirks.

The suction base comes loose quite easily, so I have to regularly reseat it on the worktop. It's easier to do this before it comes free, just as it starts to loose its grip. When stuffing the sausage, you need three hands - one to turn the handle, one to press the meat into the stuffer, and one to regulate the rate of mixture filling the casing.

So for a better sausage-stuffing experience, and hopefully a better sausage, I have now bought a Pro-V 3L Stainless Steel Stuffer from Franco's Famous SausageMaking.org.

When my new stuffer arrived I was taken aback by how big this was. 3 litres is a large capacity. I was worried that in my haste to upgrade I had bought something too big for domestic use. But my doubts vanished once I put the new stuffer to use.

The stuffer is made from heavy stainless steel so it doesn't budge when I turn the handle and I don't need that extra hand to push down on the sausage mixture. I have used it only once so far, but the results were great. The stuffer delivers very quickly and smoothly. I still need my little KitchenKraft mincer to grind the meat, but I shall be seeing my sister soon who has promised to return my electric mincer.

No comments:

Post a Comment