Tuesday 21 October 2014

Sage 2


Ingredient Grams Percentage
pork belly 2000 93.76
salt 33 1.55
black pepper 20 0.94
Sage, rough cut 80 3.75

Casing: hog casings

Last year, when I made sausages with sage I was convinced that I hadn't used enough sage and that the recipe could take more. So this year I nearly doubled the amount and I'm much happier with the results. The green herb looks great under the skin and the taste is more punchy when they sausages are cooked. I think the recipe can take even more, say up 5%, even though it looks like it will be too dominant before it goes into the mix.

I used fresh sage again, straight from the garden though this time it was the regular green variety rather than the purple sage which is past its best at this time of year. The bright green leaves look better under the skin than the duller purple. The sausages were made without rusk as I forgot that I wanted to compare the two styles of making sausage. Now I'm also wondering how letting the sage dry for a few days would affect the texture. Maybe that will be an experiment for next year.

No comments:

Post a Comment